The NASAC Scientific Conference and Ministerial Roundtable on the Opportunities and Challenges for Research in Food and Nutrition Security and Agriculture (FNSA) took place at the Hilton Hotel in Nairobi, Kenya from 17-18 September 2018. It brought together Food, Nutrition, Security and Agriculture (FNSA) experts, policymakers and stakeholders in Africa with the aim of conveying and discussing the contents of the FNSA report.
The conference acted as a convening platform for scientists to interact and lend their voices to topical issues and provided an opportunity for publicity, essentially highlighting the value that Science Academies can bring on any issue that is relevant and topical.
The conference aimed at:
- Taking stock of the relevant issues in FNSA for the African continent and related opportunities and challenges for research as highlighted in the NASAC FNSA report;
- Sharing experiences and exchanging ideas on how science can influence FNSA policy in Africa through regional networks of the Inter Academy Partnership (IAP);
- Maximizing circulation and reference to the NASAC FNSA Report titled: Opportunities and Challenges for Research on Food and Nutrition Security and Agriculture in Africa;
- Facilitating dialogue between scientists, policymakers and the private sector while seeking mechanisms for continuous and improved engagement; and
- Encouraging national uptake of policy advice on FNSA emanating from regional level through the Africa FNSA Report developed by NASAC.